Here’s an overview of the editing process:
• I’ll ask you to send me the word count of your manuscript and a sample that I can edit.
• I’ll perform the sample edit for free and assess the level of editing needed. I’ll send you the edited sample with my initial thoughts and the estimated cost of the project. You can email me your thoughts and questions, or we can arrange a phone or video call if you prefer. There is some leeway to tailor the work that I’ll provide to your budget.
• If you think I am a good fit for your project, we’ll move forward with scheduling. I will send a “letter of agreement” that lays out the scope of the editing, the schedule, the payment terms, and other services.
• We’ll correspond if any changes are needed to the letter. You’ll agree to the final version by email and send a down payment of 20 percent.
• I will edit your work. I use Microsoft Word with its track changes feature activated. You’ll be able to see each change I make and choose to accept or reject it. You will also see comments. (Read more about tracked changes here.) Please remember that once I begin editing, I cannot substitute new versions of your manuscript for the one I am working on. For proofreading assignments, I use the editing tools and comments in Adobe Acrobat on PDF files. (You can see them with the free version of Adobe.)
• When I finish editing, you will pay the remaining 80 percent of the project cost. I can accept credit card payments through PayPal (no PayPal account is needed), payments through some apps, checks from US banks, and money orders. I will send you the edited manuscript. (If you would like, I can also send a clean, final copy with all of the edits accepted.)
• You will go through the edited document, accepting or rejecting each change and resolving any issues described in the comments. (Read more about working with tracked changes here.) After you look over my work, you can email questions or we can schedule a call. I will perform one set of revisions to the original material within thirty days, if needed; extended revisions or editing of new material may involve an additional payment.
All work will be kept confidential. If you’re interested in learning more, please contact me.